Who Pays My Medical Bills in a Car Accident in California?

November 13, 2020
Barrios Machado

California is a fault auto accident state. This means that someone who causes an accident or injury must pay for the injured party’s medical bills. Such bills can be paid immediately by the at-fault person or company, or by their insurance provider.

Unfortunately, at-fault parties sometimes find ways to hold up payment.

Delays are made to force the injured party to receive a deceptively low settlement out of court. They can also pressure the victim to file a lawsuit.

If you are injured in a car accident, motorcycle accident or truck accident, you have three options to receive compensation for your injuries and other damages.

  • File a claim with your insurance provider.
  • File a claim against the other driver’s liability coverage.
  • File a personal injury lawsuit against the driver responsible for your injury.

Other options to get your medical bills paid while awaiting settlement

The at-fault party is legally responsible for the payment of the injured party’s medical bills. It may take awhile, however, for responsible parties to admit liability and pay for damages. You have several options to get your medical bills paid as you wait for settlement or for your case to go to trial.

Such options include:

  • insurance obtained through an employer
  • government insurance such as the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), Medicare, or Medi-Cal
  • a California healthcare provider who would work on a medical lien basis.
  • optional person insurance such as California “Med Pay” auto insurance, or California renter’s or homeowner’s policy.
  • California worker’s compensation

Why you must seek compensation for injury and other damages

Compensation for damages greatly reduces your financial worries following a car accident injury. When you have to pay numerous medical bills with your own money, receiving compensation to pay for them through insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit is more of a welcome relief.

If you have serious injuries that will require long-term care, consider filing a personal injury lawsuit instead of an insurance claim. A lawsuit may enable you to receive payments to cover past and future expenses. You don’t need to submit to insurance policy limits as well. If you haven’t yet taken legal action for the injury and damages caused by a car accident, immediately consult an experienced personal injury attorney to help you figure out your options.

Contact Barrios & Machado

If you or someone you know have been injured in a car accident, motorcycle crash, slip and fall accident, dog bite, or any other causes, you can contact us for a free and confidential initial consultation. Our experienced personal injury lawyers will help you make the best choices and get the most favorable settlement for your damages.

Call Barrios & Machado today at (714) 515-9696 for a free case evaluation.

Have Questions? Get in Touch.

    728 E Chapman Ave.
    Orange, CA 92866
    765 N Main St #131-B1
    Corona, CA 92878
    The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
    © Copyright 2024 Barrios & Machado Personal Injury & Accident Lawyers PC. All Rights Reserved.
    phone linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram