No one plans or predicts when an accident will occur. That's why they are called accidents. However, the reality is that they happen to us all and they happen every day.
YOU HAVE SUFFERED A CAR ACCIDENT! WHAT DO YOU DO NEXT?
1. NEVER ADMIT FAULT! Not to police or to any other party, including other drivers involved in the crash, witnesses or insurance companies.
2. PRESERVE ANY AND ALL EVIDENCE! Take down NAME & DRIVER LICENSE numbers from all parties involved in the crash, get all INSURANCE INFO from all drivers involved in the crash, take PICTURES and get any WITNESS information.
3. GET IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION! Even if you feel fine and feel like you have not been injured, make sure to get a medical opinion as soon as possible to rule out any hidden or growing injuries. Oftentimes, soft tissue injuries take time to develop after an accident. It is important that you make sure you have not suffered any injuries, such as fractures, herniations, tears, strains, concussions, contussions, internal bleeding and any other forms of bodily suffering. You may also have suffered psychological harm from the accident. If you believe this is the case, please seek out the opinion of a mental health professional.
4. DO NOT MAKE ANY STATEMENTS TO ANY INSURANCE COMPANIES! While it is okay to report the accident to your own insurance company, NEVER GIVE YOUR STATEMENT WITHOUT FIRST HIRING A GOOD PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER!
5. HIRE A COMPETENT ATTORNEY IMMEDIATELY TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS! If you fail to hire a good car accident lawyer, you will suffer at the hands of insurance companies and their defense team as they attempt to undermine your injuries and lowball any settlement (if they even offer one to begin with). If you fail to hire a good lawyer, your medical providers may take advantage of you and charge you more than they should and more than is fair.
6. MAKE SURE YOUR PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER CHARGES YOU NOTHING UP FRONT TO TAKE YOUR CASE! If your personal injury lawyer is charging you any advance, out of pocket fees to take your case, RUN AWAY and do NOT hire them! Any competent personal injury lawyer only gets paid when they WIN your case and never before. If your lawyer cannot win your case, they do NOT get paid.